Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Login failed for user 18456 when using asymmetric key for login

Hi,

I wanted to check the asymmetric key option in sql 2005. I copied the books online code for creating a asymmetric key and then used this key for creating a login. Now when I try to login without entering any password I am receiving 18456 error. I would like to know what I am missing here. If I use CREATE LOGIN from asymmetric key or certificate how do I login and with what credentials. Do I need to provide any password.

CREATE ASYMMETRIC KEY PacificSales09 WITH ALGORITHM = RSA_2048 ENCRYPTION BY PASSWORD = 'bmsA$dk7i82bv55foajsd9764'; GO

CREATE LOGIN asm FROM ASYMMETRIC KEY PacificSales09;

Regards,

Ravi

After Creating a login you will have to give explicit permissions of connectivity and other things to the login, was that done?|||

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Yes I did create a user for the login and put in the reader/writer role. So that was not the issue here.

Even if I do not grant these permissions by default it should still have permissions that a Guest login would have so I would still be able to get connected to the server. Same stuff works for other logins I have the problem only when I create a login from certificate and asymmetric key sources.

I think I do not have to supply a password for my login when I create it using certificate and asymmetric key sources.

I still do not understand how do I use a login created from these sources and what difference does it make from a normal login.

Regards,

Ravi

|||

Logins mapped to certificates or asymmetric keys cannot be used for authentication with SQL Server - you cannot login with them. These logins are used to assign server-level permissions to the certificates/asymmetric keys that are mapped to them, which is useful for signing; that is their sole purpose. For an example of use, see the following example:

http://blogs.msdn.com/lcris/archive/2005/06/15/429631.aspx

Thanks
Laurentiu

|||

Thanks a lot. It helped me in understanding their usage.

Regards,

Ravi

No comments:

Post a Comment