Friday, March 30, 2012

Login failed for user NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Hi,

We have just purchased a new server running Windows Server 2003 Standard and I am trying to run an ASP.NET 1.1 application but I keep getting the following error message when the application tries to connect to the SQL Server:

Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'

After reading numerous posts and responses in the forums I have still been unable to overcome this problem.

I have added the IIS_WPG group as a user in the SQL Server Enterprise Manager which NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE is a member of but it still doesn't work.

Some of the other suggestions in the forum included not using a trusted connection and changing the Application Pool Identity in IIS from Network Service to Local System. However both of these options have security implications.

I am using
Windows Server 2003 Standard
- The only roles installed File Server, Application Server (IIS & ASP.NET) and DNS Server
SQL Server 2000
ASP.NET 1.1

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Peter.Hi,

Your are not alone....

I have similar problem, at least same login fail, problem,
(Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE').

I´ll guess my second problem below will disappear if I solve this above?
Any help would be appreciated.

I have created an SQL instance DotNetNuke with MSDE(desktop engine)
1) How shall I do to create the tables ?
2) How shall I do to create a userid + password ? ( OSQL )
(work around, for problem one??, maybe)

I do not have Enterprise manager.

Thanks
Johan from Svedala..|||I have solved the problem,

When I installed SQL Server I selected to start and run the SQL Server using a Domain Administrator Account.

Changing this to the System Account solved the problem.

This is achieved by doing the following:

1. Expand a server group.
2. Right-click the server, and then clickProperties.
3. On theSecurity tab, underStartup service account, clickSystem account.

Peter.

No comments:

Post a Comment