Monday, February 20, 2012

logging the volume of data loaded other the network?

Hi,
how can I know or log the volume loaded by my DTS packages?
I need to evaluate the traffic and the bandwidth required.
Does the profiler can provide enough info?
For the moment I work on a copy of the production database. so all is local
on my server.
Thanks for your help
Jerome.A couple of places. In the package properties, enable package logging. Thi
s
will give you counts and times it took to execute various tasks within the
package.
Also in package properties, there is an option to provide an output file for
execution details. Then, also in the same set of dialogs, you can choose to
have the package to log in the servers event logs.
Hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Anthony Thomas
"Jéjé" wrote:

> Hi,
> how can I know or log the volume loaded by my DTS packages?
> I need to evaluate the traffic and the bandwidth required.
> Does the profiler can provide enough info?
> For the moment I work on a copy of the production database. so all is loca
l
> on my server.
> Thanks for your help
> Jerome.
>
>|||but does these option display the amount of data?
in Mb, not in rows!
"AnthonyThomas" <AnthonyThomas@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:385122A2-440F-483D-B92D-60BCC3D05CE8@.microsoft.com...[vbcol=seagreen]
>A couple of places. In the package properties, enable package logging.
>This
> will give you counts and times it took to execute various tasks within the
> package.
> Also in package properties, there is an option to provide an output file
> for
> execution details. Then, also in the same set of dialogs, you can choose
> to
> have the package to log in the servers event logs.
> Hope this helps.
> Sincerely,
>
> Anthony Thomas
>
> "Jj" wrote:
>|||Jj,
You might want to look into a network monitoring tool, there's nothing
built-in that does it.
--
Mark Allison, SQL Server MVP
http://www.markallison.co.uk
Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602m.html
Jj wrote:
> Hi,
> how can I know or log the volume loaded by my DTS packages?
> I need to evaluate the traffic and the bandwidth required.
> Does the profiler can provide enough info?
> For the moment I work on a copy of the production database. so all is loca
l
> on my server.
> Thanks for your help
> Jerome.
>|||but my actual problem is:
all is on 1 server!
so I can't monitor any network activity, because there is no network
activity for the moment.
"Mark Allison" <marka@.no.tinned.meat.mvps.org> wrote in message
news:u3K1ojmxEHA.1296@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...[vbcol=seagreen]
> Jj,
> You might want to look into a network monitoring tool, there's nothing
> built-in that does it.
> --
> Mark Allison, SQL Server MVP
> http://www.markallison.co.uk
> Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
> http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602m.html
>
> Jj wrote:|||If you want to monitor network activity, bytes, etc you may
want to look at using a Network sniffer tool or PerfMon and
the Network Interface object.
-Sue
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 09:20:12 -0500, "Jj"
<willgart_A_@.hotmail_A_.com> wrote:

>but does these option display the amount of data?
>in Mb, not in rows!
>"AnthonyThomas" <AnthonyThomas@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>news:385122A2-440F-483D-B92D-60BCC3D05CE8@.microsoft.com...
>|||There are still the performance counters, server as well as SQL Server that
will give I/O transferred, pages manipulated, etc. Also, the Profiler tool,
which can focus on that application/database/user/etc., will record CPU time
,
and Read I/O and Write I/O. Sorry, it is only in bytes but I think you can
do the conversion.
Moreover, you can automate the launch of background trace with the use of
the system stored procedures and have the output loaded to a SQL Server tabl
e.
Sincerely,
Anthony Thomas
"Jéjé" wrote:

> but my actual problem is:
> all is on 1 server!
> so I can't monitor any network activity, because there is no network
> activity for the moment.
> "Mark Allison" <marka@.no.tinned.meat.mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:u3K1ojmxEHA.1296@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>

No comments:

Post a Comment